Re: [LUG] Default gateway disappears when a root SSH putty connection is used?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Sam Grabham wrote:

> Hi
>
> Ref: CentOS 4
>
> When you su - root via a terminal that is open on a VNC session on the
> server you get the "RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable" message.
>
> Does this mean the problem must be in be in the /root folder?
>
> The logs haven't given me any info to investagate.
>
> does any know if scripts such as /etc/rc.local get called when a ssh user
> logins in?
>
> Is there a way of debuging all activity that is currently happening on the
> server?

Yes, but you many need to enable all the accounting stuff in the kernel
and userland - have you tried this yet:

   su - -- -x

Copy and paste it exactly. It's one dash, a space, 2 dashes, space, -x

This will put the login shell in verbose mode. Eg. on my box:

   gordon @ yakko: su - -- -x
   Password:
   ++ id -u
   + '[' 0 -eq 0 ']'
   + PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
   + '[' '\s-\v\$ ' ']'
   + '[' /bin/bash ']'
   + PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '
   + export PATH
   + umask 022

The above is from /etc/profile

Below here is from /root/.profile

   + '[' -f /root/.bashrc ']'
   + . /root/.bashrc

Below is from .bashrc

   ++ export 'PS1=\h:\w\$ '
   ++ umask 022

back to .profile

   + PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
   + export PATH
   + mesg n

You should be able to use this to trace what's happening for you.

Gordon