[LUG] rural wifi, was forum?

> >> When I see churches in rural areas, I see a big communications tower
> >> (you can hide a wifi antenna very easily)
>
> Urm since wifi is predominantly line of site - you can't really hide
> them. Although I know this guy who can make very stylish antennas for
> you, and know which guttering has the best microwave properties if you
> prefer the weatherproofed look.

Line of site means that the antenna only need to see each other. That doesn't
mean they need to be seen from the ground. I was guessing that you can sit an
antenna on the flat roof of a tower, with a clear line on another site, but not
visible from the ground. Distributing the signal locally is a different problem
I suppose.

> What I never realised was that many prominent hill tops have regular UK
> power sockets on top of them, to plug in all the radio gear. The radio
> hams have been here (there) before. So often it is just a case of asking
> whoever is paying the electricity bill.

:)