Re: [LUG] forum?

On Friday 30 January 2009 09:18, Dave Berkeley wrote:
> > Many years ago there was a fairly active group doing point to point
> > wireless connections to overcome the telephone providers deliberate
> > dragging of feet. It might be worth resurrecting that completely
> > decentralised approach - grid networking etc to prevent the million
> > SPOF's that are built into the system at the moment. At least as a
> > backup, and also to sent the message to others that the cat is out of the
> > bag and it isnt going back in.
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> This is easy to do with WiFi equipment. When BT were slow in bringing
> broadband to rural areas, I was surprised that more people didn't set up
> their own WiFi links. We can still do this. However, with mobile broadband
> muscling in, the incentive is lower, and we are pushed back into dependence
> on the telcos.
Cost is surely a good incentive - especially nowadays!
Dependence on telcos will result in all sorts of ill thought out stupidity -
there are moves afoot to sideline P2P 'in case someone uses it for
downloading music that only costs 10* the price the musician gets for it to
keep the parasitic music industry going and no other reason'  OK so we can
run everything over port80 using tunnelling but  belts,braces and pringles
aerials .... I can see 54Meg point 2 point connections costing  <£100 for
10km reach...
> When I see churches in rural areas, I see a big communications tower (you
> can hide a wifi antenna very easily), with a big south facing roof, ideal
> for solar panels. Perhaps the church should set up it's own power and
> communications network? Microgen and microcomms for rural communities.
Sounds good! I must I havent a problem with the 'nanny state' as some call it.
I do have a problem when the 'nanny state' turns out to be working for big
business and not those sad little peasants called the voters.
Tom te tom te tom