Re: [LUG] forum?

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> It is a LOT of work, even with automation. Spammers actions may be
> stupid but spammers themselves are always devising automated ways to
> beat the automated methods of protecting various web components from
> their trash. That's without doing any moderation.

If your forum is small enough and your anti-spam measure is unique
enough, you'll keep most of the spammers out, just because it won't be
viable enough for them to break it. Unique enough means asking users a
question such as 'What is the name of the Linux penguin?' or 'What is
the capital of Cornwall?' combined with something that forbids them to
post more than one URL per post (or, if the forum is only open to
registered users, any URL unless they have posted more than 10 posts
already).

> Why is it that many a Google search gets to a forum question without an
> answer? Could it be that people don't have time to write answers
> because they are busy moderating?

No, it's because forums don't work as well to create communities.
They're ideal to join, post your question and only come back to check
answers to your own post, which is what many people do. And which is
why I don't think DCGLUG should become a forum.

Martijn.