Re: [LUG] forum?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:14:21 +0000
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

(I hate forums and I've no time to be a moderator or maintainer, let
alone remove all the inevitable spam.)

Isn't there an existing forum somewhere that can be re-branded?

spam, spam, spam, spam. I've run forums before and they are the worst
idea ever devised for the www IMNSHO. It's a good enough reason for
me. ;-)

> perhaps we can hook it in to the members area,  so if you login to that,
>  you can get access to the forum.
>
> that means 1 site, 1 login,
>
> Neil is that possible?

Unlikely - at least not in the current configuration.

The DCGLUG membership area is completely bespoke and was not designed
to integrate with other third-party tools. Mapping the current
usernames to the forum membership would be subject to the third-party
tool having a non-www API for adding members.

It's bad enough getting spammers pretending to be new members of the
membership area. If that carries on, I'm going to need captchas on the
"Join DCGLUG" page. Selfish idiots spoiling the web for everyone else,
drives me nuts. The web is a very unfriendly place, full of people
just waiting to ruin the experience.

--

Neil Williams