Re: [LUG] Opensource in Devon, 2009/10 Budget

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 08:38:45AM +0000, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:

> Hi Henry,
>
> Any chance you'd be willing to release this document in a "template"
> form under the GFDL/CC or similar so that it can be used as "campaign
> material" for others?
>
> Thanks,

Matt

1/ As far as I am concerned what is more important than licensing is that the Devon
County Council look carefully at what IT systems they have and make appropriate
choices to cut costs and improve service. While I do not believe that Opensource is
the answer to every solution and proprietary software will continue to have its
role; I believe that opensource should be the default model for public money.

2/ I have not run a PR campaign but comments in
http://www.writetothem.com/about-guidelines make a lot of sense to me.

3/ The point of my letter was to ensure that the key decision makers were aware that
opensource is not "mickey mouse / hacker / teenage kids" (insert your negative
epithet) toy but a real tool increasingly used by local governments around the
world. Even the Conservative Party seems to have twigged that opensource works.

4/ Given that the DCC is encouraging people to write to it on suggestions on how to
spend money, and given that local council elections are due to take place on 04 Jun
09; then I feel the people should contact their representatives suggesting a switch
to opensource. But in their own words and with their own, reasoned, arguments.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.