[LUG] Opensource in Devon, 2009/10 Budget

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/democracycommunities/councilfinance/budgets/budget2009-2010.htm

"Over the next few weeks Devon County Council would like to hear from you about how
you would like the County Council to allocate the annual budget 2009/10.

We’d like you to tell us what services you believe we should be spending money on."

I have written to the Chief Executive, Devon County Council (Dr Phil Norrey), copied
to:
- Chair Audit Committee: Cllr Geoff Date (Totnes)
- Chair, Devon County Council: addressed to Cllr Brian Greenslade (the current chair
is John Rawlinson)
- My MP (Steen).

Asking when DCC is going to look at opensource in a structured way, given that cost
savings of between £650,000 and £2.3m are available on switchover. I admitted that
on a total budget of £800m this is not a great deal BUT it is a quick and simple
area for saving money.

The full letter is just under 2 sides long and in precis states:
- Opensource is cheaper
- Provides permanent access to the file: does not mandate expensive update
- Allows software to be produced that makes life easier for devon business' (I gave
the example of the einesTIC program in Spain)
- Provides examples of public sectors who have switched to opensource

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.