Re: [LUG] iso numbers for file formats

On 28/01/2009 17:36, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:

<snip>
> By de-facto I mean "people behave as if it is one, but it isn't, and
> therefore doesn't have any of the benefits of an actual standard".

Yep, I think the worst offender is Publisher.  A client of mine uses MS
Office XP and have some documents in Publisher format.  On transferring
them over to OpenOffice the majority of their documents
(Word/Excel/Powerpoint 2000/XP format files) open fine but their
Publisher files are a real pain.  I've tried the Publisher to
OpenOffice.org addon as as good as it is it isn't perfect (it only works
on Windows and requires both Publisher and OpenOffice.org to be
installed to transfer the documents).  In the end they look like they're
going to have to save what they have in HTML or PDF format so it's
readable and then start from scratch, ideally in OpenOffice.org Draw or
Scribus.

Rob