Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference -- now available

On 28/01/2009 11:44, Paul Sutton wrote:
> They are happy for you to quite parts of the book,  in fact it always
> makes me laugh when you have a book and the copy right says no part of
> this publication may be copied in any form, and they give you in the
> case of programming books code to type in,
>
> typing in would breach the copy right on that said book
>
> regarding giving out copies on cd'  not sure if this also applies here,
>   but looking again at the FAQ,  they don;t want it mirrored on other
> websites,  but direct users to the book website so they can get the
> latest version (which I personally think is a fair comment really)
>
> It looks like its only available in the USA via amazon with no plans to
> sell it in other amazon sites.
>

> Paul

I've been in contact with the author and he said he's fine for us to
distribute copies of the PDF on CD as long as the CD is for
non-commercial use.  I've explained what I have been doing with the
OpenDisc and I'm just waiting for a reply on it.  If he's okay with it
I'll put a copy on there in PDF format.  He did also ask about making a
Debian package of the PDF, not something I've done before.  Anyone know
of any good guides on making Debian packages? :-)

They do offer a bulk purchase discount, I have also asked what sort if
discount we'd be looking at and how many copies we'd need to purchase.
If all else fails it works out at about £7 a copy plus postage, so maybe
a couple of us could chip in and buy a couple of copies and share the
postage costs.  I just think it would be something ideal to have a
couple of copies of floating about which we could loan out to new
members who are getting started with Ubuntu (and to a point other Debian
based distros).

Rob