Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference -- now available

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 10:55, Rob Beard wrote:

>>> I see! They want to make money out of it and in HTML format they wouldn't
>>> be able to sell the lousy paper version!
>>> Thats not very FREE in any sense of the word.
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>> To be fair usually a book like this wouldn't be available as a free to
>> download PDF anyway.  There's nothing stopping anyone with the PDF
>> printing off a copy if they so wish although it might work out cheaper
>> to buy the book from Amazon.  They do mention about doing a bulk
>> discount so with any luck it'll be made available through the Canonical
>> UK online shop.  It does also say that some of the profits from the book
>> go to charity.
>>
>> It doesn't suggest that it's released under any Free licences either
>> such as FDL or Creative Commons.  There are other guides available such
>> as the Ubuntu Desktop Course (albeit slightly out of date) here:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training
>>
>> What they do encourage though is giving out copies of the PDF for free.
>> It could be used as a good way of helping newbies.  Give out a copy of
>> this guide on CD (maybe on the OpenDisc) and an Ubuntu CD along with it.
> OK I was a bit harsh. But I will make a point of not reading it in case it
> causes IP problems with anything I may write later ...
> Tom te tom te tom

They are happy for you to quite parts of the book,  in fact it always
makes me laugh when you have a book and the copy right says no part of
this publication may be copied in any form, and they give you in the
case of programming books code to type in,

typing in would breach the copy right on that said book

regarding giving out copies on cd'  not sure if this also applies here,
 but looking again at the FAQ,  they don;t want it mirrored on other
websites,  but direct users to the book website so they can get the
latest version (which I personally think is a fair comment really)

It looks like its only available in the USA via amazon with no plans to
sell it in other amazon sites.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton