Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference -- now available

On 28/01/2009 10:16, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 09:31, Martin Gautier wrote:
>
>>   >>  Is therea computer usable version - like html so I can actually use
>>
>> it on the same screen as I have the problem/task to learn?
>>
>> No, just the PDF. There's an explanation as to why on the website's FAQ.
>>
> I see! They want to make money out of it and in HTML format they wouldn't be
> able to sell the lousy paper version!
> Thats not very FREE in any sense of the word.
> Tom te tom te tom

To be fair usually a book like this wouldn't be available as a free to
download PDF anyway.  There's nothing stopping anyone with the PDF
printing off a copy if they so wish although it might work out cheaper
to buy the book from Amazon.  They do mention about doing a bulk
discount so with any luck it'll be made available through the Canonical
UK online shop.  It does also say that some of the profits from the book
go to charity.

It doesn't suggest that it's released under any Free licences either
such as FDL or Creative Commons.  There are other guides available such
as the Ubuntu Desktop Course (albeit slightly out of date) here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training

What they do encourage though is giving out copies of the PDF for free.
It could be used as a good way of helping newbies.  Give out a copy of
this guide on CD (maybe on the OpenDisc) and an Ubuntu CD along with it.

Rob

Rob