Re: [LUG] Default gateway disappears when a root SSH putty connection is used?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:08:24 -0000
Sam Grabham wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a strange problem i am currrenly looking at, when a root user
> connects via a windoze/putty connection, the default gateway is
> removed. If you connect with another user the gateway remains.
>
> Have looked at the files in the /root folder, profiles etc. Started
> to look into the sysctl file and /etc/ssh etc.
>
> Does any one know of a url that explains a step by step on scripts
> called when ssh console opened?
>
> Regards
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,

Might be a daft question, and I am completely avoiding answering your
question here... but... why are you logging in as root through SSH
anyway?  Would it not be better to log in as a user (and keep your
default gateway) and use either su or sudo to run things as root?

Grant.