Re: [LUG] Viglen - finding hard drives and USB flash

2009/1/18 Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Having deleted the root user from my Viglen mpc I've go a Xubuntu 8.10
> alternate usb flash drive and I can boot the viglen from it.
> However in 'install' mode the partitioner cant find a hard drive.
> In 'repair' mode I cant find the USB stick as CDRom - /dev/usb* dont seem to
> contain it

I have just re-discovered this issue myself.

The reason the installer can't see the hard disk is because one of the
drivers is missing. Never fear, this can be fixed.During the
installer, before you get to the disk detection bit, do this:-

ALT+F2 and press enter to activate the console.
cd /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/kernel/drivers/ata
ls pata_cs5535.ko
(you should note this file is missing - this is the driver)
wget http://popey.com/~alan/pata_cs5535.ko
(that will download it from my website - I ripped that out of a
running viglen running the same kernel version)
depmod -a
modprobe pata_cs5535

The disk should spark into life at this point and you can confirm that
it's "seen" by linux using this command:-

fdisk -l

(thats a lower case L).

Now switch back to the installer screen with ALT+F1, and if you are
already at the disk partitioning bit, select "Go Back", and re-choose
"Detect disks" it should then show in the list.

Job done.

Cheers,
Al.