Re: [LUG] Viglen - finding hard drives and USB flash

On Sunday 18 January 2009 18:50, Mark Evans wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > Having deleted the root user from my Viglen mpc I've go a Xubuntu 8.10
> > alternate usb flash drive and I can boot the viglen from it.
> > However in 'install' mode the partitioner cant find a hard drive.
> > In 'repair' mode I cant find the USB stick as CDRom - /dev/usb* dont seem
> > to contain it
>
> USB drives can come up as regular SCSI drives. Try looking at /dev/sd?
> or /dev/sd?1.
> The command "ls /dev/sd*" is a good one to try.
>
> It's just about possible that your machine thinks that the USB stick is
> an actual CDROM drive, in which case it will be /dev/sr?
Thanks for the advice folks - I think the flash drive install* may have been
corrupted somehow - when it checked itself it seemed happy but things weren't
right so I tried the xubuntu 8.10 desktop version and that seems too have
worked so far!!

* I used the Ubuntu "System/Administration/Create a USB startup disk" GUI - no
idea what it does or where it comes from.
Tom te tom te tom