Re: [LUG] Viglen - finding hard drives and USB flash

On Monday 19 January 2009 14:26, Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/1/18 Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Having deleted the root user from my Viglen mpc I've go a Xubuntu 8.10
> > alternate usb flash drive and I can boot the viglen from it.
> > However in 'install' mode the partitioner cant find a hard drive.
> > In 'repair' mode I cant find the USB stick as CDRom - /dev/usb* dont seem
> > to contain it
>
> I have just re-discovered this issue myself.
>
> The reason the installer can't see the hard disk is because one of the
> drivers is missing. Never fear, this can be fixed.During the
> installer, before you get to the disk detection bit, do this:-
>
> ALT+F2 and press enter to activate the console.
> cd /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/kernel/drivers/ata
> ls pata_cs5535.ko
> (you should note this file is missing - this is the driver)
> wget http://popey.com/~alan/pata_cs5535.ko
> (that will download it from my website - I ripped that out of a
> running viglen running the same kernel version)
> depmod -a
> modprobe pata_cs5535
>
> The disk should spark into life at this point and you can confirm that
> it's "seen" by linux using this command:-
>
> fdisk -l
>
> (thats a lower case L).
>
> Now switch back to the installer screen with ALT+F1, and if you are
> already at the disk partitioning bit, select "Go Back", and re-choose
> "Detect disks" it should then show in the list.
>
> Job done.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
Thats one of those 'just thrown away the other sock' moments.
As I wrote earlier  I decided there was something wrong with Xubu-Alternate
and I guess there was - though being paranoid I thought it was just mine!
There seem to be a  few MPC users out there -  I was wondering how people find
them and what they use them for?
Mine is going to be a sort of permanently on web browser/email station/file
server/proxy/repository cache hub - cant run flash well etc but when I get
the hang of get_iplayer (only on 512k here) working that should be ok.
I wouldn't try any real (desktop?) work on it but if we don't get too many
power cuts I think it'll live.
Tom te tom te tom