Re: [LUG] stats on Linux market share

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Looking at the article a while back on the OU being challenged to use
> OSS,  It stated somewhere in that that Linux only has a 1% market share,

1% of what, though.

If you look in non-obvious places - ie. in the data centre, then it's
going to be much much higher...

All the boxes I host/manage remotely run Linux for example (but it's only
15 boxes on one site, and 3 in another)

Last biggish "silicon gorge" company I worked for was 100% Linux behind
the scenes (until they went corp-rat and wanted and exchange server
*sigh*), so at the time it wa something like 14 or so boxes dedicated to
infrastruction - main fileservers, etc. and dozens (might have been well
over 100) which were their test & development boxes...

And what about all those clusters out there - all running Linux...

I still think Linux on the desktop is going be a slow comer, but behind
the scenes - it's already the leader IMO.

Gordon