Re: [LUG] stats on Linux market share

On Friday 16 January 2009 15:10, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Looking at the article a while back on the OU being challenged to use
> OSS,  It stated somewhere in that that Linux only has a 1% market share,
>
> this to me seems rather low,  I just wondered if anyone had any real
> upto date stats we can use when promoting OSS,  as it really helps when
> people try to say no one uses it, or similar to quote real stats on usage.
>
> Given the downloads for openoffice for all operating systems,  there has
> to be similar usage stats for other stuff, too,  it just helps, and
> would be useful if we get a venue to do presentations etc.   ie. explain
> OPen source / free software then give people some stats on usage.
Its a tricky one to answer - I've 6 machines here with Linux on and one was
paid for. I know of several machines with paid for Vista that now run XP or
linux.
That would come up in the stats as 1 linux, several vista.
Linux may only have 1% market share but 99% of pc's may be running it and
Vista may have 90% market share but only 1% of pc's trying to run it.
Market share is meaningless to anyone but bean counters.
Tom te tom te tom