Re: [LUG] Fedora 8 X Server rebuild!

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 08:45 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> 2009/1/14 kevin <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > HI all
> >
> > i would like to share an "experience" I had this morning with a Frdora C8 pc
> > which I needed to ad a "Very user friendly" Hayla fax client/ Manager on. ie
> > Idiot proof.
> >
> > I checked out sourceforge and wanting to avoid java ( had no real luck with
> > any so far) Downloaded and began to install  avantfax.
> > It came with a install script which needs MySql and php and apache, all of
> > which are installed
> >
> > So I ran the script and it failed on resolving dependencies for some Xlib
> > things so I had a few minutes to spare and tried to resolve the first on the
> > list.
> >
> > all seemed ok
> > then the second.....
> >
> > I updated libxcb
> > and got the following warning!
> >
> > Jan 14 08:43:40 Installed: libXau-devel - 1.0.4-1.fc10.i386
> > Jan 14 08:43:42 Installed: libxcb-devel - 1.1.93-2.fc11.i386
> > Jan 14 08:43:42 /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 is not a symbolic
> > link
> >

> > so I thought is it a real file?
> >
> > I tried to open a Browser window
> > nothing.
> >
> > I opend Nautilus
> > nothing
> >
> > looked at error logs and the system is going haywire with Xserver errors
> >
> > Ctrl Alt F1
> >
> > Sweating a little I try to undo the yum steps
> >
> > Trying to remove the libxcb takes out some 283 packages with it most of the
> > sw that runs in X
> >
> > so I think......
> > I can "reinstall" Fedora but keep my /home dir
> > try anaconda but this fails on the LVM part of the partition ( I cant define
> > the / partition as it is on LVM)
>
> how do you mean it fails?

If you try an update of existing the first thing that happens after the
install image has been prepared and a reboot is   "There is a Xserver
already running on 0 should we start another?"

The LVM editor on anaconda wont let me define a / mount point as it is
already in use!

> > as / and /home are on the same disk I give up. Note to self next time Don't
> > use LVM on install.
>
> > So I have a great speedy Fedora "server" now with all services working fine
> > but no way of running the Xserver.
> > The error on boot up is There is a Xserver already running on 0 should we
> > start another?
> > Any answer to the above gets you back to the same place!
> >
> > Can anyone say how to reinstall just the Xserver?
>
> I don't have a solution to your problem, but thought I should let you
> know Fedora 8 is no longer supported by the Fedora Project (means no
> security/bug fix updates), so you'd probably be wise to at least
> upgrade your installation.
>
> Also, might want to try asking in #fedora or on fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Sorry I can't be more help!
>
> Jon

This morning I have put Fedora back on restored the user files and now
am battling with the various repos to find what I had installed over the
past three years.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386