[LUG] Fedora 8 X Server rebuild!

HI all

i would like to share an "experience" I had this morning with a Frdora C8 pc which I needed to ad a "Very user friendly" Hayla fax client/ Manager on. ie Idiot proof.

I checked out sourceforge and wanting to avoid java ( had no real luck with any so far) Downloaded and began to install  avantfax.
It came with a install script which needs MySql and php and apache, all of which are installed

So I ran the script and it failed on resolving dependencies for some Xlib things so I had a few minutes to spare and tried to resolve the first on the list.

all seemed ok
then the second.....

I updated libxcb
and got the following warning!

Jan 14 08:43:40 Installed: libXau-devel - 1.0.4-1.fc10.i386
Jan 14 08:43:42 Installed: libxcb-devel - 1.1.93-2.fc11.i386
Jan 14 08:43:42 /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 is not a symbolic link

so I thought is it a real file?

I tried to open a Browser window
nothing.

I opend Nautilus
nothing

looked at error logs and the system is going haywire with Xserver errors

Ctrl Alt F1

Sweating a little I try to undo the yum steps

Trying to remove the libxcb takes out some 283 packages with it most of the sw that runs in X

so I think......
I can "reinstall" Fedora but keep my /home dir
try anaconda but this fails on the LVM part of the partition ( I cant define the / partition as it is on LVM)
as / and /home are on the same disk I give up. Note to self next time Don't use LVM on install.
Knoppix cant read LVM either.!

So I have a great speedy Fedora "server" now with all services working fine but no way of running the Xserver.
The error on boot up is There is a Xserver already running on 0 should we start another?
Any answer to the above gets you back to the same place!

Can anyone say how to reinstall just the Xserver?

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub) reprieved (possibly!)
Po House, Minions,
Liskeard Cornwall
PL14 5LE
01579363386