Re: [LUG] Fedora 8 X Server rebuild!

2009/1/14 kevin <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> HI all
>
> i would like to share an "experience" I had this morning with a Frdora C8 pc
> which I needed to ad a "Very user friendly" Hayla fax client/ Manager on. ie
> Idiot proof.
>
> I checked out sourceforge and wanting to avoid java ( had no real luck with
> any so far) Downloaded and began to install  avantfax.
> It came with a install script which needs MySql and php and apache, all of
> which are installed
>
> So I ran the script and it failed on resolving dependencies for some Xlib
> things so I had a few minutes to spare and tried to resolve the first on the
> list.
>
> all seemed ok
> then the second.....
>
> I updated libxcb
> and got the following warning!
>
> Jan 14 08:43:40 Installed: libXau-devel - 1.0.4-1.fc10.i386
> Jan 14 08:43:42 Installed: libxcb-devel - 1.1.93-2.fc11.i386
> Jan 14 08:43:42 /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 is not a symbolic
> link
>

> so I thought is it a real file?
>
> I tried to open a Browser window
> nothing.
>
> I opend Nautilus
> nothing
>
> looked at error logs and the system is going haywire with Xserver errors
>
> Ctrl Alt F1
>
> Sweating a little I try to undo the yum steps
>
> Trying to remove the libxcb takes out some 283 packages with it most of the
> sw that runs in X
>
> so I think......
> I can "reinstall" Fedora but keep my /home dir
> try anaconda but this fails on the LVM part of the partition ( I cant define
> the / partition as it is on LVM)

how do you mean it fails?

> as / and /home are on the same disk I give up. Note to self next time Don't
> use LVM on install.

> So I have a great speedy Fedora "server" now with all services working fine
> but no way of running the Xserver.
> The error on boot up is There is a Xserver already running on 0 should we
> start another?
> Any answer to the above gets you back to the same place!
>
> Can anyone say how to reinstall just the Xserver?

I don't have a solution to your problem, but thought I should let you
know Fedora 8 is no longer supported by the Fedora Project (means no
security/bug fix updates), so you'd probably be wise to at least
upgrade your installation.

Also, might want to try asking in #fedora or on fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Sorry I can't be more help!

Jon