Re: [LUG] JPG and PNG

Rob Beard wrote:
> On 14/01/2009 18:55, Jennifer Ockwell wrote:
>>  You cannot even send files with Pidgin, I've tried.  Pretty much all
>>  you can do is instant messaging.  Smilies work still
>
> Really?

I haven't tried it with MSN for ages, but last time I did failed, as
Jennifer says. It tries but fails, it can send files over some other
protocols.

Pidgin is a poor implementation of many different protocols. I don't
think it is the developers fault, most of these messaging providers want
to get everyone running their client (even if that means they all have
to run the most recent version of MS Windows - well in MSN cases - or
whatever it is called this week that is hardly surprising).

You can often do better with Pidgin by getting the latest release -
think backports repository or similar.

Many of these IM systems have a lot of development - most now have
voice, video, etc, with all the attendant protocol and codec issues.

No doubt it'll end up like bulletin boards - couldn't find a sensible
one for chatting last time I looked - soon you won't be able to find an
instant messaging client that "just sends instant messages".

 Simon