Re: [LUG] Recovering Files from a Windows Formatted Disk

On 08/01/2009 15:47, Brown Richard wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I hope all is well.
>
> I have a friend who took their pc to a repair place. Unfortunately the
> repair was botched and instead of repairing they simply formatted the
> whole drive.
>
> I have looked on the net and have found the dd command to be my
> friend. What I want to do is to recover all data from the formatted
> drive, so it has been suggested I use:
> dd bs=512 if=/dev/rXX# of=/some_dir/foo.dmg conv=noerror,sync
> Basically I just want to check is that correct please?
> Thanks for the help.
> Rich

Are you doing the recovery on a Linux box?

I presume you found the instructions here? -
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050302225659382

If you were to use a Linux box, substitute rXX# for sdX (where X is the
drive i.e. sda, sdb.  You'll find the first drive is probably sda.
Looking through the dmesg output for the manufacturer and size of the
drive might help you match it up).

You could also try firing up an Ubuntu Desktop Live CD, open up a
terminal and install the Testdisk package.

Testdisk is able to recover from various filesystems, I've certainly
recovered an accidentally deleted partition this way.  It might be worth
a go although as a precaution you might want to make a disk image using
dd first.  In fact it might even be a better idea to make a disk image
using dd and then try various utilities on the disk image rather than on
the drive itself.  It's not 100% guaranteed that you'd get anything
back.  I'd also get back to the company who formatted the drive
especially if you can't get any data back.  There are other ways of
getting the data back but it's usually not cheap.

Anyway, see how you get on, if you get stuck mail me off list and I'll
see if I can come up with anything else (two of my suppliers specialize
in data recovery, I could ask them how much they'd charge for such a
recovery).

Ta,

Rob