Re: [LUG] Recovering Files from a Windows Formatted Disk

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 03:47:10PM +0000, Brown Richard wrote:
> I have a friend who took their pc to a repair place. Unfortunately the
> repair was botched and instead of repairing they simply formatted the
> whole drive.
>
> I have looked on the net and have found the dd command to be my
> friend. What I want to do is to recover all data from the formatted
> drive, so it has been suggested I use:
> dd bs=512 if=/dev/rXX# of=/some_dir/foo.dmg conv=noerror,sync
> Basically I just want to check is that correct please?

That will make a copy of the drive, which you can try to recover data
from. Ideally you want to use the drive as little as possible, so
working from the disk image is a good idea.

However, dd won't actually recover the data itself; I'm not really sure
what to suggest on that front (it depends what type of files you're
trying to recover, for a start). I've had good results from
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec for recovering images, but I
don't know how well it'll handle other types of files.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0