Re: [LUG] Acer aspire with Linux lite connection problem...

Simon Robert writes:

> On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 19:46 +0000, jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Rob Beard writes:
>>
>> > Do you have a link to the support pages?
>>
>> ...I don't. I just followed the link from Google that he wanted me to. I've
>> got to go over and take the download to him now so I'll have to post it a
>> bit later....
>> >
>> > Ubuntu Netbook Remix would most probably support it (I presume this
>> > because Ubuntu 8.10 does) and it's aimed at netbooks.  Looking at the
>> > Debian installation instructions, I think it would be a tad simpler to
>> > go down the Ubuntu route. (A guide on adding it to plain Ubuntu Intrepid
>> > is here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR)
>> >
>> > On the other hand, Tom Brough has the same modem and his wife has an
>> > Aspire One, not sure if he's tried it?
>> >
>> > There's also this guide which links to the Vodafone Linux dialer
>> > software (which certainly works with these modems, I have tried it with
>> > one of these modems on Three with Ubuntu 8.04) - HTH
>> > http://ppires.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/huawei-e220-3g-and-acer-one/
>> >
>> > Rob
>> >
>> ....that is helpfull Rob thanks.
>> Cheers, Jon
>>

> I don't know how these would work with the hardware, but these two links
> are for net book versions of ubuntu for the eeepc. I guess the drivers
> could be replaced with whatever is needed and these are very easy to
> install.
>
> http://eeebuntu.org
> http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
>
> Simon

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me on this. What he has done is he
went down to our local computer shop and the guy there, kindly, lent him and
eithernet cable that he kenw was supported and he did the online 'update'.
The good thing is he was really impressed with how quick and easy it update
was/is. HOpe fully he will continue to be impressed with the system he's
got.
THanks again, JOn