Re: [LUG] Acer aspire with Linux lite connection problem...

On 07/01/2009 16:03, jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi, having a bit of a problem with an Acer aspire. It came with Linux lit
> installed which doesn't have the soft/firmware that supports the dongle
> we've got. It's a HUAWEI E-220 dongle and the ISP is Vodaphone. It's my
> stepdads and he's found support on the internet somewhere that has told him
> to install the lite update. So we're downloading that onto my lappy now. Is
> the best/easiest route to get the dongle working or is there any other
> options?
> CHeers, JOn

Do you have a link to the support pages?

Ubuntu Netbook Remix would most probably support it (I presume this
because Ubuntu 8.10 does) and it's aimed at netbooks.  Looking at the
Debian installation instructions, I think it would be a tad simpler to
go down the Ubuntu route. (A guide on adding it to plain Ubuntu Intrepid
is here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR)

On the other hand, Tom Brough has the same modem and his wife has an
Aspire One, not sure if he's tried it?

There's also this guide which links to the Vodafone Linux dialer
software (which certainly works with these modems, I have tried it with
one of these modems on Three with Ubuntu 8.04) - HTH
http://ppires.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/huawei-e220-3g-and-acer-one/

Rob