Re: [LUG] And if you thought DCC are bonkers for wasting money on MS, then ...

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kevin Tunison wrote:
>> RTOS are expensive and proprietary because they guarantee delivery.
> That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, especially considering of the
> approx. 40 RTOSs listed on that page that state their licensing model,
> about half of them are "open source".
>
> Grant.

Woops yeah that was quite an overstatement my bad!  In the back of my
mind I was thinking 'military' RTOS and from what I have read over the
years, they are notoriously reserved (cautiously optimistic?) in
allowing open-source.  For different reasons entirely than
political/idealistic.  I did find one link revisiting the topic which
is quite promising for open-source with regards to military RTOS use
(it still carries a heavy $18,000 per seat developer license), but it
is still proprietary, it just allows use of linux binaries.  That's
the LynxOS

If anyone could contribute information displaying the use of an
open-source RTOS that would be fab.  I hope my bringing up RTOS isn't
too off-topic, since the article mentions M$...

Cached link works only for me:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:mCdpwyOcpbQJ:www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9507327618.html+examples+of+military+use+of+open+source+RTOS&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6

and some others, but alas, no open-source RTOS...

http://www.mil-embedded.com/articles/id/?3089
http://www.watersnews.com/public/showPage.html?page=743871
http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/home/article.php?id=100219
http://mae.pennnet.com/articles/article_display.cfm?Section=ARCHI&C=Feat&ARTICLE_ID=150907&KEYWORDS=IPC&p=32