Re: [LUG] And if you thought DCC are bonkers for wasting money on MS, then ...

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/01/2009 13:27, Julian Hall wrote:
>> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> Windows for Warships:
>>>
>>>     http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/05/windows_for_warships_hits_type_23s/
>>>
>>> *sigh*
>>>
>>> Gordon
>>>

>> Oh for.... I thought that plan had been sunk (pardon the pun) years
>> ago!  In fact I recall posting a spoof to the LUG of an MS support call
>> from an Admiral whose ship had sunk when the system blue-screened ;)
>>
>> Julian
>>

> Nope, unfortunately not.
>
> Just seen this from 1998 in The Register comments...
>
> http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/1998/07/13987
>
> Rob
>
> --

If any of the mission-critical aspects are relying on anything other
than an RTOS such as http://www.ghs.com/ then that is very worrying
indeed.  I would be just as curious to know what hardware is being
used also.  It's a shame the article doesn't go in to more detail.  It
is possible, inferring the 'mixture' of 2000 and XP, that this could
be some type of hybrid like Windows CE or the Ardence solution.

Wiki has a nice rundown...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_operating_systems

RTOS are expensive and proprietary because they guarantee delivery.
To say the military is willing to sacrafice this for cost is, imho,
unreasonable.

Saying all that though... I ended up dredging this up in the midst of
trying to see how much public information is available regarding
MS/military collaborations.

http://www.microsoft.com/industry/publicsector/government/messaging.mspx

Warm Regards,

KevinT