Re: [LUG] BBC Education

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, John Hansen wrote:
>

>> I have today sent the following to education@xxxxxxxxx:
>>

>> I wonder how much schools could save if they used Open Source software
>> such as Linux and Open Office rather than MicroSoft Windows and Office.
>>
>> Have you looked into this matter?
>>

> Good luck with it ..
>
> As I understand it (From a Scottish teacher friend of mine), they're more
> or less locked into Microsoft these days for _teaching_. I don't think the
> national curriculum actually states it though, but I imagine there are
> huge pressures on teachers, etc. to "conform" and go with the flow.
>
> Where you might be able to make in-roads is in the Schools admin
> department - however, unless it's a private school, again, they might be
> more or less locked-in to what the LEA mandates.
>
> I did work with an independent school recently who were using thin clients
> and Linux on the desktop of the admin department, but the finance
> department were using Sage, so ... (However they were using Sage with a
> Linux file-server).
>
> I suspect there's amarket for a schools admin package, but personally I'd
> steer clear of the teaching side - for now.
>

> Gordon

There is no harm in having  linux box to demonstrate that there is
another solution for computing,

the fact the other solution is free can then be promoted also,  as a
different software model,

pupils are then informed and have a choice,  given other countries are
teaching Linux, we could be in danger of falling behind.

Paul