Re: [LUG] BBC Education

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, John Hansen wrote:

> I have today sent the following to education@xxxxxxxxx:
>

> I wonder how much schools could save if they used Open Source software
> such as Linux and Open Office rather than MicroSoft Windows and Office.
>
> Have you looked into this matter?

Good luck with it ..

As I understand it (From a Scottish teacher friend of mine), they're more
or less locked into Microsoft these days for _teaching_. I don't think the
national curriculum actually states it though, but I imagine there are
huge pressures on teachers, etc. to "conform" and go with the flow.

Where you might be able to make in-roads is in the Schools admin
department - however, unless it's a private school, again, they might be
more or less locked-in to what the LEA mandates.

I did work with an independent school recently who were using thin clients
and Linux on the desktop of the admin department, but the finance
department were using Sage, so ... (However they were using Sage with a
Linux file-server).

I suspect there's amarket for a schools admin package, but personally I'd
steer clear of the teaching side - for now.

Gordon