[LUG] TCL8.5 and TK8.5

This is my first post.  I'm quite new to Linux and a bit baffled by it.
I'm running Ubuntu on my laptop and, so far, coping well with mainstream
stuff like Open Office.  However, my first stumbling block is as
follows:

I want to use my pc to program my Humax IRC5400z satellite receiver.
Previously, I did this using a variety of XP based software, but the
choice for a Linux platform is more restricted.  I've downloaded what
looks to be an excellent software suite, but I can't get it to run.  The
software is called HumaxACTit, downloaded from
http://www.sparsa.nl/activetcl.html.  It needs tcl8.5
and tk8.5.  I've managed to install both tcl and tk and have had some
fun learning about root privileges, sudo, directory structure and
various commands on the way.  However, when I try to run any of the
HumaxACTit programs directly or via a terminal or console, they crash
almost immediately.  I've done a fair amount of Internet/Ubuntu Help
searching, but I can't find a solution.

Geoff Wolstencroft