Re: [LUG] Scottish firm pays out £120,000 over unlicensed software

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 04:43:12PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

> I do wonder though what powers the BSA actually have got, I mean, do
> they have powers so they can actually enter a premises?

Mobile phone repair company, Total Repair Solutions, will be counting the cost of
using unlicensed software after paying almost £120,000 to cover settlement costs
with the BSA, as well as legalising and acquiring software needed by the business.
The company, based in Renfrewshire, agreed the settlement after allegedly being
under-licensed, using copies of Microsoft software (including Office, Project,
Visio, SQL Server; Windows Server and Exchange Server Client Access Licenses) on
approximately 100 computers

See http://www.out-law.com/page-6641
http://www.out-law.com/default.aspx?page=9130
http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Projects-Management/What-to-Do-When-You-Receive-a-BSA-Audit-Letter/
http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Projects-Management/8-Ways-to-Avoid-an-Audit-from-the-Business-Software-Alliance/
http://www.bsa.org/country/News%20and%20Events.aspx

From memory (always a tricky thing) and from reading the above:
- The BSA relies on tips from competitors / disgruntled employees. They get upto
£10,000
- They then on the basis of that information may seek a court order to search the
premises OR you will get a friendly letter saying "prove the software you use is
legit".
- If they can the BSA will file a criminal complaint against you (ie the police will
come after you) or the BSA will come after you in civil court and demand you pay
full price for the software used AND their costs

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.