Re: [LUG] IE alert

Julian wrote:
> .... When Windows 98 was launched a colleague in work
> managed to cut IE out and still maintain a viable - well.. for Windows
> anyway - OS. Also there were Windows 98 Lite versions available which I
> believe also gave the ability to remove IE. I think there is even an XP
> Lite OS. In Windows 2000 at one point I removed IE by the simple
> expedient of deleting it from Add/Remove Programs with no ill-effects.
> That could possibly be a result of it being a business OS based on NT4
> and not a direct development of the Windows 3.x - 95 - 98 consumer OS
> family. Granted for the average user you can't just get rid of IE, but
> I think the *absolute* necessity of it being installed is a myth that
> Microsoft are more then happy to propagate.

I think I used to have "XP Lite" under the name of Starter Edition for Africa - sort of crippleware arrangement where you could only have 3 windows open at a time and so on, and lacking the MS Office stuff. After installing Firefox I tried to remove IE via Add/Remove Programs, and couldn't. So I disabled IE by cranking the "parental" settings up so that every site needed permission.

Thus when I did away with dual-boot for pure Ubuntu, the girlfriend was already trained to use Firefox.

Get the next generation of Free Windows Live Services Click here!