Re: [LUG] MyBorg

On Thursday 11 December 2008 12:04, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Tom Potts wrote:
> >> I was wondering if anyone was interested in helping develop  MyBorg.
> >> MyBorg starts as one Linux computer. You can configure multiple users
> >> on it
> >> (LDAP?) and many services.
> >
> > This is more or less what NIS (aka YP) was intended for.
> >
> > I just did an NIS master server install for a new client too. I'm glad
> > it still lives on!
> >
> > Now if only those *4£kers in MS had used something that was compatable
> > with the Unixy passwordy mechanism they could have had NIS too.
>
> Doesn't Microsoft's Services for Unix (or whatever they've changed the
> name to this time) support NIS?

NIS is (or was) just a single sign on mechanism - it replicates the user info
across many machines. I was hoping to go further and merge that with virtual
file systems and possibly clustering etc to achieve something that looks like
massive redundancy so that  your borg looks more or less the same from any
machine in it.
Tanenbaum wrote something about it a long time ago...
http://black.tekmagik.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9#9
for discussions?
Tom te tom te tom