[LUG] partitions and replacing windows with ubuntu

Ok

my current set up is as follows

/dev/hda7              31G   28G  1.7G  95% / this is my debian partition
tmpfs                 507M     0  507M   0% /lib/init/rw - not sure what
this is
udev                   10M   72K   10M   1% /dev or this
tmpfs                 507M     0  507M   0% /dev/shm or this
/dev/hda1              20G   20G  427M  98% /media/hda1this is my
windows NTFS partition
/dev/hda5             6.4G  3.7G  2.8G  58% /media/hda5 this is dos FAT
32 drive to share date between windows and Linux

What I want to do is this

1. Replace windows on /hda1 with ubuntu
2. resize hda5 to hold data etc - will be split to hold data /home and
swap (may have to resize hda1 for a temporary period to do this
3. Later on I want to delete hda7 and have my whole 60 gb hdd as ubuntu
with a /home parition and swap so this will mean moving /hda5 and making
hda1 bigger.

at present grub is installed to the MBR,  if I install ubuntu on hda1
this will wipe,  what I need to do is ensure that once I have installed
ubuntu both this and debian will both still boot during the transition
between Windows/Debian dual boot and ubuntu.  I think the ubuntu
installer is intellegent enough to create dual boot though or should be.

I know if I create another partition (splitting hda5 into two) hda7 will
change, as in, the debian partition will no longer be refered to as hda7
(or i am under the impression this will happen)

Does it matter where the swap file is,  hda7 is pretty full hence i want
to start over.

Do i need swap at all, i don't think i do, given that, if tmpfs is my
debian swap file, its hardly being used as I have 1gb ram,  can swap
paritions be shared, between 2 installs, in which case ubuntu can
probably use what i have which simply leaves hda5 intact, and all the
partitons intact and no worries on booting both systems.

thanks for any help,

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
DCLUG - chat

 next meet - TBA