Re: [LUG] Getting a Windows refund from Acer

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Rob Beard wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Rob Beard wrote:

_Acer's sole repair centre in the UK is in Plymouth._

</quote>

So it looks like I'd possibly be in luck. If I do buy one I'll have to
confirm with Acer first, but I wonder if it would be possible to drop
the machine in and have it done there and then. If so, I could head down
to Plymouth, pick up a laptop from Comet and then drop it in for my
refund. :-)

Still I don't think a customer should have to jump through so many hoops!

There is a shop in South Brent which is also an Acer authorised centre -
They're called Moortek and I'd suggest giving them a call first -
http://www.moortek.co.uk/ (terrible web site)

Disclaimer: Yes, I know the guys there (Richard and Neil), and have bought
stuff from them in the past (recently my wifes Acer Aspire One)

Gordon

Hmm, I'll check them out.  I haven't been able to find this particular
Acer any cheaper than Comet (it's the 12.1" Acer Aspire Core 2 Duo with
2GB Ram and a 250GB hard drive for about £395).

Yes, that's a good point. Personally, I'd rather support the local economy and keep the money in Devon, but maybe that's just me. (It was annoying to hear that my wife's AA1 was on-sale in Tesco for £170 though)

When I bought my Acer Aspire, I bought it with XP installed - at the time I had one use for XP, so I didn't bother going through the hassle of having it removed. Acers seem to come with the disk setup in 3 partitions though - a small recovery partition, then 2 big ones - C: and D: drives in Win Land - I just installed Linux on the "D:" drive and arranged Lilo to dual-boot..

Dumping Win is a very nice "feel good" win though!

Gordon