Re: [LUG] ssi nav

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 00:19 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> Worth checking if you can override the settings with an htaccess file,
> if you don't want to rename all the files from ".html" to ".shtml" just
> to enable SSI.
I will ask. I am unsure how necessary it is for one site - I put up a
starter for people to see and as I had no comment I went ahead - having
already registered it with google - I changed all the extensions for
those pages that would have children so I could update the navigation as
each new page came along. I am coaching a couple of members of my
Beekeepers Association to use KompoZer and the committee had a look on
Monday. I think we are going to create a camel! I suspect, when I hear
the outcomes, that I'll have to change some file names again. Hopefully,
if we do it quickly enough, google won't have problems as they index the
first page first and the rest later.

> It is at this point you realise that you should never have got the
> original site indexed with the ".html" extensions ;)
Yes - learning is like this - once you create something and realise
there are better tools or whatever, it may be difficult to change - a
bit like the Windows situation in miniature. But sometimes, with the
long view, the costs of the change are saved quickly enough.

I have another site which has been up a lot longer - well, a few weeks.
It comes first in a google search. The index page will also have to use
a SSI. I will ask about .htaccess - but I am not too hopeful.

> Just as "www." is unnecessary because what else will you serve over
> HTTP, the ".html" extension is a silly idea because the HTTP protocol
> describes the content. The people who built the web technology thought
> about all this stuff (you can make Apache serve the files without the
> extensions easily enough) but then handed it over to folks like me who
> then helped make the mess that the web currently is though imperfect
> understanding of what it all was.

Interesting - the web sites I am working on and another I have assisted
to get completely standards compliant, are a without www and others I
have seen have no extension.

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk