Re: [LUG] ssi nav

james kilty wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 23:35 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
>
> .shtml worked fine, and does not seem to need to be made executable. I
> checked with the host and all is well - they didn't offer any other
> option (unless I graduate to php some time).

Worth checking if you can override the settings with an htaccess file,
if you don't want to rename all the files from ".html" to ".shtml" just
to enable SSI.

It is at this point you realise that you should never have got the
original site indexed with the ".html" extensions ;)

Just as "www." is unnecessary because what else will you serve over
HTTP, the ".html" extension is a silly idea because the HTTP protocol
describes the content. The people who built the web technology thought
about all this stuff (you can make Apache serve the files without the
extensions easily enough) but then handed it over to folks like me who
then helped make the mess that the web currently is though imperfect
understanding of what it all was.