Re: [LUG] OpenOffice.org Base Tutorials?

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:52:01 +0000
> Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we should organise some training so that everyone in the GLUG
>> who wants to knows databases to the point where they can create their
>> own desktop database application?
>
> Desktop? do you mean LAMP or console and if not, which packages are you
> proposing to use to implement a desktop solution?

Desktop - as in native desktop application.

I'd probably suggest OpenOffice Base as an example, as even if you do a
LAMP based solution, it is not uncommon to want to integrate database
information into Office suite type documents - such as form letters or
spreadsheets. Using Base would give folks an idea how they might do that
easily.

The key points are more theoretical: SQL, Tables, indexes, foreign keys,
constraints, ACID.

What is usually lacking is background as to why relational databases are
the way they are, what they are good (and bad) at. The main reason that
debates like Postgres v MySQL rage is ignorance (and a certain natural
tendency in primates to form cliches).

That said, it would probably be a lot better if we persuaded someone
with a suitable comp sci degree and more experience, as my exposure to
this stuff is mostly as a system admin, and in some cases database
admin, or database tuning. You can do a remarkable degree of database
tuning with little more understanding that being able to decipher the
optimisers output, understanding what goes on underneath, and a little
common sense.

> Various interpreted languages have database support and GUI support -
> it's the GUI that is the main problem.

Agree, I think that most people are scared off because it isn't all self
contained.

OpenOffice Base is self contained, and seems to me like a reasonable
usable Access clone. Certainly I've been impressed at the Wizards and
Error messages. Wouldn't necessarily be my first choice as a database
tool for using in anger, but probably works okay as a demystifying tool.

 Simon