[LUG] Dual route to a SMTP server?

Hi

A while ago i managed to get our mail server to route mail via 2 gateways for fail over reasons.

I can't remember how i got it to work, I thought i used routing tables, but as yet haven't got it to work this time.

Any one know of any URLs,How to etc for this?

I would normally create a script which would most likely have used "ip route add" etc.

could i have used iptables and forwarded the traffic?

So this is what i have in mind:

2 ISP's with 2 routers and NAT setup with port 25 forwarded to the alaised IP on the NIC which has differant scopes of course.

DNS MX records for domain would point to the 2 routers external IP's .

I think it's the returning network packets that fail to go back to the same route they came from.

Any ideas?

Regards

Sam