Re: [LUG] OpenOffice.org Base Tutorials?

Adrian Midgley wrote:

> Simon Waters wrote:

>> Perhaps we should organise some training so that everyone in the GLUG
>> who wants to knows databases to the point where they can create their
>> own desktop database application?
>>
> Desirable from several points of view.

This seems to be an offshoot of my email about using Wine. The reason
for considering it was the lack of a Linux database of the Access,
Paradox type.  I agree that Access was horrible, I always used Paradox.
This was originally a Borland program but was later bought by Corel. It
has never been ported to Linux.

IMHO Paradox was far superior to Access. In fact I believe that one of
the reasons that MS brought out Access was to try to outdo Paradox. If
so, they failed miserably.

As I mentioned in my earlier emails, I used to write databases for small
companies, always using Paradox, and they seemed to be very successful.
At least I never had any complaints and plenty of praise and thanks, so
I must assume that they were successful.

Although OpenOffice Base is coming along, it is still nowhere near where
Paradox was fifteen years ago. I still have CD's of Paradox versions 7
and 8 and nine, and the relevant user manuals. Hence my questions about
Wine.

Some training sounds a very good idea, but what program would we use?
The whole point about a program like Paradox is that everything is in
one program. So called monolithic. As far as I know there is nothing
like this ready in Linux.

Comments anyone?

Neil Winchurst