Re: [LUG] Using Wine

Tom Potts wrote:

Neil Winchurst wrote:

>> Yes, I know about mysql and postgresql. Also open office base and
>> koffice kexi, and rekall and others. I have looked around a lot already.
>> There is still no Linux database of the same type as Paradox. Base and
>> Kexi are getting there but still have a way to go.

> Have to agree there from my experience. Has anyone seen a Base or Kexi
> tutorial that successfully takes you through two joined tables with a ddl?
> Even getting to that stage might be useful for some RAD stuff.
> I must confess I almost miss Access - though like many MS things it always
> ends up as a main part of the bottleneck after a while.
> Tom te tom te tom

It is Paradox that I miss. I considered it to be far superior to Access.
   Just one example, Kexi does not seem to have *any* calculated fields.
Base has a sort of system for them using queries. Weird.

I used to write databases for small businesses and, without fail, every
single one of them used calculated fields. It is an absolute must for
commercial databases and yet no Linux database of the Access or Paradox
type seems to have them properly set up yet.

As I said, one example. There are plenty of others. This is why I have
given up waiting for a Linux database which is up there with Access or
Paradox and why I am considering trying out Wine to see if I can get
Paradox to work.

Neil