[LUG] Network Management Tools (Was Server and Computer Networks)

Hi All

Thanks so much for all the support and ideas.

2008/11/11 Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I have been contacted by a local company that are interested in moving
> to a network of Linux managed computers and servers. This is getting
> beyond my knowledge base but the company are willing to allow me to
> expand my knowledge and learn as I build, and they will in fact pay me
> to do it as well!
>
> I have talked things through with the boss and he would like me to put
> together a quote and a system that will work for them and also enable
> the computer to cut software costs and be safer. The system is fairly
> simple but does throw up some interesting issues. The big issue is
> Sage. They run it for their accounts and grab various reports. It runs
> as a server programme that also runs an .exe file on the clients. Is
> anyone aware of whether it is possible to run Sage through Crossover
> or virtualisation software please?
>
> Eventually the system will need to run about 8 or 10 pcs connecting to
> a file server and running an intranet and a client/order database. Is
> there software available that will run on Linux that will allow
> multiple connections and provide some sort of client management system
> please?
>
> What hardware would you go for? - For a file server - a nas box or
> purpose built system, for a server to run the client management
> programme/sage etc. And the pcs themselves.

Just to let you know after some discussions they are prepared to allow
me to manage the network so it will be a learn on the go job. If you
feel that I am taking the rip out of this list asking for support for
something I am earning money from please do say and I will look at
other support possibilities.

In the meantime suffice to say after much discussions we are using a
NAS box as a file server and running Sage through a Mac using
Parallels. Both options I have used before and so won't be a huge
learning curve. The learning curve will be through an additional Linux
box which will run network services. We will purchase a separate modem
that will link to the Linux box. The Linux box will have three
additional ethernet ports, one for a wireless network, one for a
printer network and one to support the additional computers. This box
will be used to monitor the network and see where we get blockages or
bottlenecks and then how to solve them.

Can folks help me work out how to set this box up please? What distro?
I was looking at Smoothwall. Also could anyone suggest network
management tools please? We will also need to run a remote connection
to Sage and also the file server. How would I go about this please? I
am sure there will be other questions.

I am still hoping to migrate folks over to Linux given time but we are
taking a step at a time!

Kind regards
Rich
http://www.cregy.co.uk
Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.
Romans 12 v 1