Re: [LUG] Network Management Tools (Was Server and Computer Networks)

Richard Brown wrote:
> Just to let you know after some discussions they are prepared to allow
> me to manage the network so it will be a learn on the go job. If you
> feel that I am taking the rip out of this list asking for support for
> something I am earning money from please do say and I will look at
> other support possibilities.
>
> In the meantime suffice to say after much discussions we are using a
> NAS box as a file server and running Sage through a Mac using
> Parallels. Both options I have used before and so won't be a huge
> learning curve. The learning curve will be through an additional Linux
> box which will run network services. We will purchase a separate modem
> that will link to the Linux box. The Linux box will have three
> additional ethernet ports, one for a wireless network, one for a
> printer network and one to support the additional computers. This box
> will be used to monitor the network and see where we get blockages or
> bottlenecks and then how to solve them.

What do you mean the Linux box will have three additional ethernet ports?

Do you mean it's going to be attached to a switch?

I can't help but think that things are getting a little complicated now.
> Can folks help me work out how to set this box up please? What distro?
> I was looking at Smoothwall. Also could anyone suggest network
> management tools please? We will also need to run a remote connection
> to Sage and also the file server. How would I go about this please? I
> am sure there will be other questions.

I'd suggest IPCop, you don't need anything special, an old 486 or
Pentium will do.  The IPCop box will be able to provide VPN connections
for staff to connect in from home (or even to connect two sites).  When
you say a remote connection to Sage, is this for multiple users or just
one user at a time?

If  the Sage connection is for a single user then you'd probably be able
to get away with Windows Remote Desktop either through a VPN or direct
to the virtual machine (you'd need to open ports on the IPCop box to
allow the connection through though).  You could also use VNC although
by default it doesn't use encryption so you'd either need to look at
connecting through the VPN or tunneling it via SSH (not sure how to do
this on Windows, I'm sure it's possible though).

Bear in mind though that an IPCop box literally just works as a firewall
and not much else.  It can be setup to work as a caching proxy server
and with the Update Accelerator plugin you can also cache updates for
Linux, Anti-Virus apps and Windows (saves bandwidth).

What connection do they currently have for internet access?  Cable, ADSL?

What modem/router do they have?

On an IPCop box you'd be looking at the following networks:

Red Network - This is what connects to the internet
Green Network - Put trusted machines in this network such as desktop
PCs, trusted laptops, printers etc.  Machines in the Green Network can
connect to the network and are protected by a firewall.
Blue Network (optional) - The blue network is used for wireless.  Any
machines generally connecting through the Blue network usually need to
VPN into the IPCop box to be able to access the Green network.

I can't really understand why you'd want a printer network, that is
assuming you mean a seperate subnet just for the printers to go on.  I'd
have thought unless you have hundreds of machines you'd get away with
sticking the office machines and printers on one subnet (say
192.168.0.x) and then have another subnet (say 192.168.1.x) for the Blue
network.
> I am still hoping to migrate folks over to Linux given time but we are
> taking a step at a time!

Fair enough.  I'd say get them used to Open Source applications first
like Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice then the switch won't be as big.

Rob