Re: [LUG] resurrection day

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2008 08:56, Neil Williams wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:40:01 +0000
>>
>> Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a couple of old working motherboards (Duron 800 +256M not sure
>>> about the other cpu but 128M) I have a case with a non functioning
>>> power supply. I hate to chuck the motherboards and thought that maybe
>>> other LUGers might have 'matching eqpt.
>>>
>> My problem is that I have all the same equipment and the same broken
>> equipment - it seems to be the power supplies that are the limiting
>> factor. Finding AT power supplies is hard.
>>
>> There might be complete computers standing around in various companies
>> etc.
>>

>>> Does anyone fancy a resurrection day where we try and put odd bits of
>>> hardware together to make working machines?
>>>
>> All I need is a power supply to resurrect my Pentium 1 90MHz.
>>
> http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/569891/art/advance/atx-5000-pc-power-supply.html
> £12 dont seem too bad...
>
>>> These boards would make usable PC's, fantastic thin++ clients for
>>> Linux but only bulimic clients for windows....
>>>
>> Do you have somewhere to put these, or some idea of where these
>> machines might end up?
>>
> I was thinking these are to be treated as dead machines...
> Some of us meet up somewhere - I've got a bit of room.
> We build as many working machines as possible.
> We take the scrap stuff to the tip.
> What happens to the working machines? Freecycle them?
> I hate throwing away stuff that works. However
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/20/citigroup-wonders-gear
> may mean that this stuff is not worth fixin.
> Tom te tom te tom

I think the idea of doing this is fun,  isn't this what hardware hacking
is about taking a pile of kit, and making something work from something
that everyone else has written off and having fun at the same time,  i
also agree, there are lots of people out there, who may want a computer
but can't afford one, so this way we can build one, and get one more
person or family out there on the computer bandwagon, with of course a
better operating system that they would normally get.

I am currently working as a mentor to a young person in torquay,
however I have contact with people who run youth groups etc, and I am
sure they would welcome any donations of old kit,  however I am not
comfortable just giving this away as is,  I think it should be PAT
tested first, that way there is no come back on the LUG, but there are
people in the lug who can do this perhaps,  in addition do we need to
get someone to draft a disclaimer for anyone receiving the equipment to
sign,  It covers our backs and also this is expected,  perhaps I am over
cautions.

Should we give the kit away or perhaps sell cheap, if we can get hold of
a psu (earlier post says this will cost £18,  and perhaps a basic tft
monitor (crts are heavy, and take up too much room, which would be no
good for the after school club I work at),

the lug is very resourceful, I am sure we can put any kit to good use,

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
DCLUG - chat

 next meet thurs 27th November 2008 - 7:30 pm shoreline/seafront cafe, paignton
details on lug wiki