Re: [LUG] Source of cheap small capacity USB memory sticks

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 07:47 +0000, tom wrote:
> I was also interested in purchasing a bulk load of usb pen drives to
> send to third world countries so that students could save their work and
> take it with them, knowing that the data was safely in there hands and
> not at the mercy of the cyber cafe and the next user that logged on.
>
> Pen drives are easier to send in volumes to far off places....

I wondered about that - presumably the data on a USB stick is safe for
such mailings but I wondered if the contents have to be declared in
order to cross certain borders?

(Mind you, the rate these things go missing from governments across the
world, it won't be long before some idiot claims that transporting such
things is a threat to national security.)

I wonder if it would be possible to send these things through the more
paranoid border controls of, say, the USA. ;-) (You know, the ones who
confiscate laptops as "terrorist devices".)

> When I looked at this a couple of years back it was a chicken and egg
> situation. To get the discounts you had to buy large volumes and when
> you multiplied up the large volumes you ended up having to pay serious
> money.

It's the serious money that permits the filling of the order. ;-)

> Perhaps if there are enough people out there who want to buy cheap but
> not necessarily "super" large volumes of pen drives we could form a
> consortium in order to get a reasonable discount for the volume they
> required ?

I'm in - probably 50 per order.

> Perhaps a simple web page with contact email address, volume / capacity
> of pens required and desired unit price.

Feel free to use the DCGLUG Wiki, or if the group could include people
outside DCGLUG, maybe wiki.earth.li: http://wiki.earth.li/LUGs

>  Once we hit some "magic"
> numbers we could negotiate a bulk purchase price agreeable with the
> supplier / consortium members and then place an order.
>
> However consider that even if you could get 100 pen drives @ 50p each it
> is still costs £50.

There's no way around that - real physical items are rarely completely
free, otherwise everyone would want hundreds. (Witness the Hoover
debacle a few years back.)

--

Neil Williams