Re: [LUG] Source of cheap small capacity USB memory sticks

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Steve Lee wrote:
>>> Does anyone know a really cheap (or free) source of small capacity
>>> memory stick's
>>>
>>> The Exeter talking newspaper is upgrading to digital and we'd like to
>>> give sample's with the players so users can get used to them before
>>> the subsequent dispatch of the 1st stick with recordings on it which
>>> are later recycled. The samples will be effectively disposable and
>>> have a small recording on them so can be old small sizes that are no
>>> longer sold (eg 128, 256).
>>>
>>> We need around 80-100
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve Lee
>>> Open Source Assistive Technology Software and Accessibility
>>> fullmeasure.co.uk
>>>

>> My memory.co.uk do 512 mb flash drives for £2.99
>>
>> It may be worth contacting them, regarding smaller sizes,  its probably
>> not viable to produce a few 32 or 64 mb but a large number they may be
>> able to help,  they do their own brand, so not sure if they make them or
>> these are rebadged 3rd party.
>>
>> may be worth a look,
>>
>> Paul
>>

> This eBay seller seem to have a load of 128MB 'Miller' branded ones
> going cheap (£1.99 each). http://tinyurl.com/5lcay2
>
> I did a quick google search and there are a few promotional companies
> which do branded USB sticks.  Maybe a few of you could go round asking
> for free samples :-)
>
> Unfortunately none of them seem to list prices.
>
> Could you possibly get a sponsor to pay for a load?
>
> Rob

I was also interested in purchasing a bulk load of usb pen drives to
send to third world countries so that students could save their work and
take it with them, knowing that the data was safely in there hands and
not at the mercy of the cyber cafe and the next user that logged on.

Pen drives are easier to send in volumes to far off places....

When I looked at this a couple of years back it was a chicken and egg
situation. To get the discounts you had to buy large volumes and when
you multiplied up the large volumes you ended up having to pay serious
money.

Perhaps if there are enough people out there who want to buy cheap but
not necessarily "super" large volumes of pen drives we could form a
consortium in order to get a reasonable discount for the volume they
required ?

Perhaps a simple web page with contact email address, volume / capacity
of pens required and desired unit price. Once we hit some "magic"
numbers we could negotiate a bulk purchase price agreeable with the
supplier / consortium members and then place an order.

However consider that even if you could get 100 pen drives @ 50p each it
is still costs £50.

Tom.