Re: [LUG] Server and Computer Networks

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Steve

>> Another architecture to think about is thin client (e.g LTSP) though
>> the need to run Windows apps probably confuses the issue.
>> X basically doesn't care if the app and display are same or different
>> machines (what a great design choice was made all those years ago).
>> Windows doesn't work that way though RDP (e.g TerminalServices,
>> Citrix) gives the illusion.
>>
> If we went fully Linux with purpose built software to manage the
> company, what advantage would thin client make please? Local clients
> would need to process the database, and also emails, web browse, word
> processor etc.

If you went with a custom web based system for things like the database
the processing will take place on the server itself.

LTSP has the advantage that you can use old machines (like Pentium
2/Pentium 3/AMD K6-2/Athlon) and they run (nearly) as fast as a new
machine.  The actual processing is done on the LTSP server so this
generally should be a reasonable spec server.  The actual applications
run on the LTSP server and the output is displayed on the client
machines as if they were running the applications.

I say it's nearly as fast, that was using a Dell P3-1GHz machine
attached to a Dell Xeon Quad Core server with 4GB Ram over a 100Mbit
network.  Using a Pentium M 1.8GHz laptop as a client with a 1GBit
connection worked as fast (if not faster) than running Ubuntu natively
on the laptop.

The other option for client machines would be to use some Viglen MPC-L's
with a fast LTSP server.  At about £70 a pop (at least I think they were
that price on the Ubuntu-UK offer) for the machines with keyboard and
mouse they would make ideal clients, plus the power usage is very low on
them and they can be attached to the back of an LCD monitor.

The disadvantage though is that if the LTSP server goes down all the
clients stop working.  Although this could be made more redundant with a
second server.

Rob