Re: [LUG] Open uni to ditch Microsoft

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:53:12PM +0000, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> But if you specify postscript or pdf as the document standard it
> doesn't matter what you prepare it in.
>
> You can use LaTex, I can use OpenOffice Formula or even Scribus and
> then export to PDF - both LaTex and HTML can be converted to PDF
> trivially (as can word, etc) and you can be sure that your document
> looks the same to you as whoever is marking it.
>
> > Word processing is not always the best tool,  and is not always used,
> > LaTeX is very popular in the science community,  and i think could be
> > promoted more or at least be seen as an acceptable format.
>
> LaTeX is an acceptable format for working in, but if you're preparing
> a final document then you want something print oriented and looks the
> same to anybody reading / marking it.

I think the key is what is going to happen to the document:

- If it is going to be printed, then pdf is great. But I would then argue that the
damn thing should be printed. (Thankfully more and more people are now slowly moving
away from printing out all documents and emails received: the quicker this happens
the better...)

- If the document is going to stay in electronic form then pdf is a PITA and frankly
html, LaTex, text or even word is a lot easier to read. It is also a lot easier in a
text format to extract / update / annotate.

- If the document is going to be marked, then it should be digitally signed,
digitally submitted, marked on a computer and filed accordingly. Saving paper,
ensuring a clear audit trail and speeding up response times with easy follow up. Yes
all this can be done with pdfs: if you buy the full software. It is easier and
cheaper with text / html / Latex / Word files. Will it happen? Doubt it.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding. Electronic documents