Re: [LUG] Server and Computer Networks

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 19:21:05 Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I have been contacted by a local company that are interested in moving
> to a network of Linux managed computers and servers. This is getting
> beyond my knowledge base but the company are willing to allow me to
> expand my knowledge and learn as I build, and they will in fact pay me
> to do it as well!
>
> I have talked things through with the boss and he would like me to put
> together a quote and a system that will work for them and also enable
> the computer to cut software costs and be safer. The system is fairly
> simple but does throw up some interesting issues. The big issue is
> Sage. They run it for their accounts and grab various reports. It runs
> as a server programme that also runs an .exe file on the clients. Is
> anyone aware of whether it is possible to run Sage through Crossover
> or virtualisation software please?

Not sure if you intend to run Windows clients or not, but if you do; several
years ago I was part of a company than ran Sage from a linux server serving
windows clients.  We installed Sage onto a windows machine, copied across the
installed files to  the Linux server, shared the files through Samba, and
accessed the database via the the Windows clients.  This was several years
ago and may not work with current versions of Sage.
HTH
Allister