Re: [LUG] Open uni to ditch Microsoft

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 November 2008 18:02, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:

>>> HTML is even better as it doesn't force you into 'paper' choices, allows
>>> you to focus on the information in the document and not the document
>>> itself. The amount of formatting in a document is inversely proportional
>>> to the value of its content.
>>>
>> Then why not just use plain text?
>>
> Images ?
> Tom te tom te tom

With plain text there are issues with doing chemical formula,  such as
CH4 where the 4 needs to be sub script,  and even with word processing
packages that is a pain, if you want to show both atomic number and
atomic mass correctly then LaTeX works really well, as those two values
are on top of each other, next to the letter representing the atom,
The uni are specific in how they want things presented, (if you are
going to type formula they expect it done properly),  short of hand
writing formulas in to documents, i am not sure if plain text is the
answer,  however LaTeX would classify as plain text, as it simply needs
compiling in to say PDF,  I am sure with tools such as text2tags then
this is possible to go from LaTeX to html, not sure how things would
look though;

I agree with tom here,  so either should be acceptable format,  LaTeX,
or HTML depending on the situation.  LaTeX can also handle images and
drawing of chemical structures, chemtool should export as LaTeX but it
failed when I last tried it,  now I have some time between courses I can
perhaps look in to this more as to why it failed.

Word processing is not always the best tool,  and is not always used,
LaTeX is very popular in the science community,  and i think could be
promoted more or at least be seen as an acceptable format.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
DCLUG - chat